Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Melanie Bilenker

I'm in this pretty amazing class this semester where we get to hear from different artists each week. The artist who presented tonight mentioned Melanie Bilenker as an influence and showed a piece of her work. Work that, I should point out, was made with hair. I couldn't wait to get home and google her!

In the artist's own words:
The Victorians kept lockets of hair and miniature portraits painted with ground hair and pigment to secure the memory of a lost love. In much the same way, I secure my memories through photographic images rendered in lines of my own hair, the physical remnants. I do not reproduce events, but quiet minutes, the mundane, the domestic, the ordinary moments.

Barefoot
Saturday
 
Falling Asleep
  
Clean Clothes
  
Tea
  
Clementine
 
Hemming Pants
 
Chocolate
 

2 Comments:

Art Wall Katie said...

Hair? Interesting. Love the quiet feel of these and simplicity.

Bethany Nelson said...

My thoughts exactly. I think their simplicity is what makes them so great.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails